Cancerous Green Slime Spills on Michigan Highway
Michigan drivers along a highway were treated to a disturbing, foul, green slime spilling over the roadway. Authorities were forced to shut down Interstate 696 and open a full investigation into the spill.
It turns out, the green slime was in fact, dangerous hexavalent chromium. The hexavalent chromium source was a commercial business’s basement.
Hopefully this will answer some questions we have been getting about I 696 in Madison Heights.
At about 2 30 PM on 12/20, we were asked by Madison Heights Fire Dispatch to block the right lane of east bound I-696 near Couzens while the fire department cleaned up a liquid spill. pic.twitter.com/WGFy5sYDkk
— MSP Metro Detroit (@mspmetrodet) December 21, 2019
According to the EPA, the toxic green slime passed through a drain and ended up freezing into a yellow blob. At least one lane of the highway may be closed until later today as measures are taken to clean up and detoxify the area.
The source of the toxic slime, Electro-Plating services, is owned by Gary Sayers who is already serving time for similar issues. According to Freep.com, Sayers cost the federal government $1.5 million for cleaning up illegally stored cyanide.
In the current case, hexavalent chromium is, you guessed it, a carcinogen. The toxic chemical leaked from Sayer’s business until it soaked the ground, inevitably causing it to spill into drainage systems. Following that, it spilled onto the highway as commuters drove past.
An excavator will be used to clean up the blob. Additionally, all local drains will need to be cleaned.
Author: Jim Satney
PrepForThat’s Editor and lead writer for political, survival, and weather categories.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
Like Us On Facebook -